• 1882-1904

    Director János Reizner.
  • 1883

    The predecessor of the Móra Ferenc Museum is established - at that time it was still part of the City Library. Director János Reizner begins the planned collection of objects.
  • October 16, 1883

    Ferenc József inaugurates the City Library, which will be located on the ground floor of the Somogyi street wing of the Dugonics place Main real school. on the ground floor which will be located
  • 1888

    ános Reizner presents the antiques he has collected in the upstairs rooms of the building.
  • 1893

    The town assembly votes to build the palace of public culture and establish the headquarters of the Somogyi library and town museum.
  • 1894-1897

    The City Library will find a temporary location in a rented location, in today's Juhász Gyula Street. The collection is kept in warehouses.
  • 1895

    The Palace of Culture is being built.
  • September 6, 1896

    As part of the series of millennium celebrations, the Palace of Culture intended for public education will be inaugurated. „Közösség által ellenőrizve” ikon Name: Somogyi Library and City Museum
  • 1897

    The library is moving in
  • 1898

    With the support of the National Inspectorate of Museums and Libraries, the collections continue to grow. The creation of the gallery and the management of the natural history material begin.
  • June 11, 1899

    The first permanent exhibition of pictorial, medal and archaeological materials opens.
  • 1904

    The new director is István Tömörkeny, who creates the ethnographic collection. Ferenc Móra is hired to manage the natural history museum and prepare an exhibition. Later this year, he will be classified as a librarian.
  • 1905

    The natural history museum will be opened to visitors. The exhibitions are then only open on fair days and holidays between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.
  • 1908

    The first ethnographic exhibition opens.
  • 1916

    One of the most important relics of the First World War in Szeged, the Doberdo tree, is brought home and placed in the museum.
  • 1917

    Ferenc Móra is appointed director. During the years of the war, the museum faced serious problems.
  • 1920

    The Szeged Museum Friends Association is established.
  • First half of the 1920s

    Ferenc Móra is constantly fighting for the survival of the institution.
  • 1926

    Móra saves the gold treasure in Nagyszéksós.
  • 1929

    Szeged becomes a national museum collection center.
  • 1934

    Ferenc Móra died. The new acting director is Károly Cs. Sebestyén.
  • 1936-(1949)

    The new director: Dezső Csallány, archaeologist. The Somogyi Library and City Museum is declared a public collection by the Minister of Religion and Public Education.
  • The II. World War period

    The ground floor of the palace and the remains of the castle are declared an emergency shelter. The building is seriously damaged - one of the pillars of the main entrance falls. Renovation work will begin urgently.
  • 1944-1945

    Director Béla Majtényi.
  • 1945-1949

    Director Mihály Szőke
  • October 23, 1946

    The museum reopens its doors. Visitors can see a bird exhibition, fine art and photography exhibition.
  • 1949

    The new director: dr. Alajos Bálint is an archaeologist.
  • 1950

    The museum and the library are divided into two, taking the name of Móra Ferenc. Preparations for the expansion of the building begin.
  • 1951

    January 1: The museum is nationalized. April 2: The museum takes the name of Móra Ferenc.
  • January 5, 1954

    The expansion of the Palace of Culture building begins.
  • June 14, 1955

    The expanded, renovated museum is handed over.
  • March, 1956

    The literary history exhibition opens.
  • April, 1959

    The first archaeological permanent exhibition opens.
  • July, 1962

    The permanent natural science exhibition opens. The museum is managed by the county council.
  • 1969-1970

    Acting Director János Dömötör.
  • 1970

    The new director is Dr. Ottó Trogmayer.
  • 1978

    The museum will receive the Fekete ház (Black house) building on Somogyi Street.
  • 1984

    The Somogyi library is moving out of the building.
  • 1985

    The History Department takes possession of the Fekete ház (Black house).
  • 1997

    Dr. Otto Trogmayer retires.
  • 1997-1998

    Acting Director János Pap.
  • 1998-2006

    Director Gabriella Vörös.
  • 2001

    Renovation of the castle building.
  • 2002

    The institution is the winner of the Museum of the Year Special Award.
  • 2005

    Chagall exhibition in the Castle Museum.
  • 2006-2007

    Acting director Ferenc Horváth.
  • 2007-2011

    Director István Zombori.
  • 2011-

    Director Otto Fogas.
  • 2012

    The Munkácsy exhibition breaks the previous number of visitors: 49,000 visitors.
  • 2019-2020

    The largest renovation of the Móra Ferenc Museum since the 1955 expansion. Complete renovation of the facade and roof, the windows and the building have returned to their original color. Renovation of the entrance hall, staircase, corridors, dome hall by restoring the original colors. Renovation of the glass panels of the dome. Creation of two new permanent exhibitions in the Móra Ferenc Museum: Our River and its Land (natural science exhibition), Móra a great deal (exhibition about the nature lover Ferenc Móra). The construction of two roof lookouts on the roof, and a chamber exhibition on the history of the museum in the attic. The renovation of the Castle and Quarry also takes place at this time. Arrangement of the area in front of the Castle building, paving, construction of a new entrance. The building has a new permanent exhibition about the history of Szeged and the castle "Travel to the past!" with title. Creating a barrier-free entrance, expanding and winterizing the quarry, organizing and renovating the castle garden, creating a catering unit.
  • August 14, 2020

    The Móra Ferenc Museum and the Castle and Stone Museum reopen after the renovation
  • 2021

    Exhibition about the life of Queen Elizabeth: Sisi - Queen in black and white. Another crowd favorite: 43,000 visitors.
  • 2022

    Another international temporary exhibition arrives from the USA.